Forbes Column 2010: Entrepreneurs: Getting To $1 Trillion

Posted on Friday, Feb 12th 2010

Zero In this week presents the One Million by One Million movement to President Obama. Please read Entrepreneurs: Getting To $1 Trillion, and then send an email to Mr. President through whitehouse.gov asking him to pay attention. Please include the URL.

Even if you do not have five hours a week to contribute to this project, I hope you will spare two minutes to do this for us. We need thousands of voices to speak up to get attention, it appears. Many thanks!

ps. As of Monday afternoon morning 3:00 am Pacific Time, the 1M/1M Ambassadors LinkedIn group has 157 members. I am thrilled to have so many of you interested in taking this movement forward. Let us see what we can do together!

This segment is a part in the series : Forbes Column 2010

Comments

I just sent the email to President Obama. Good Luck!

Bill Kelm Friday, February 12, 2010 at 1:07 PM PT

Thank you, Bill.

Sramana Mitra Friday, February 12, 2010 at 1:16 PM PT

The bigger problem is finding out people who are real entrepreneurs. Like I am not and I don’t claim one to be. However, at times I think ah ! it’s so nice to think on a different set of problems instead of what I am doing today.

There are believers who are not essentially contributors, also there are believers who are not essentially doers. And there are TONs of people who has the skills and belong to these two categories.

There should be a forum with great usability online where the believers can help the million people who are thriving towards becoming successful entrepreneurs.

There are so many ventures who are trying to create a space like that however, I don’t think anybody has made any significant progress there yet.

It’s like crowd computing where the collective brain solves a problem and an online application collaborates and helps finding solutions around the thoughts of the ables after removing the noise.

The online social media as well as online industry is yet at it’s early stage and needs to go to the next level to make such a large project happen.

What’s your vision and plan for driving a million people toward success?

Thanks,
Santanu

Santanu Sunday, February 14, 2010 at 8:01 AM PT

Santanu,
That is not the bigger problem. And that is not a segment I am focused on.
I am focused on the doers, and I know how to find them. Like all great entrepreneurs, I have chosen a segment to focus on and validated its legitimacy, I will not deviate from it.
I am neither a career coach, nor a recruiter. I have no plan nor any interest in driving a million people towards successful careers.
My focus is on making 1 million entrepreneurs successful.
The rest of my lifetime will go into achieving this mission at as large a scale as possible.
I am not compatible with passive people. I am a doer, and I understand doers. I don’t understand onlookers who watch life pass them by without doing something about it. They pontificate. They want entrepreneurs to take all the risks and sit by the sidelines waiting to jump on a ship that is already sailing with a different captain.
It is not a way of life that I resonate with, and I am afraid I don’t want to devote an ounce of my energy towards helping this segment.

Sramana Mitra Sunday, February 14, 2010 at 10:43 AM PT

Great, I thought this clarification from you was missing while asking people to join the group so wanted to clarify that. 🙂

I am still wondering what could be the platform for these million people. How that platform would look like?

Will this me a group in linkedin of million people or a different online system which connects these people together to share and ‘solve’ their issues collectively. Don’t think this as negative thinking but trying to visualize the short term state, midterm state and the mature state of the online co-ordination.

This is the dream of every online application which tries to connect millions of people with similar focus. How these guys would be co-ordinating? What benefit they will get out of the collaboration? What is important? What is the best way to provide that to these million people?

Very good problem to solve.

Thoughts?

Santanu Sunday, February 14, 2010 at 10:58 AM PT

Santanu, I am one of the initial 1M/1M ambassadors. I believe we have now over 100 of them.

I think most of them know what they signed up for.

Before I jumped in to become one, I have been attending Sramana’s strategy roundtables every week for about a year.

I totally identify with Sramana’s mission and I am very proud to be one of the first volunteers for this project.

Sramana, your statement ” I am a doer, and I understand doers. I don’t understand onlookers who watch life pass them by without doing something about it ” is just one more great point that describes you well and I will be using it when I talk to qualified but understandably very skeptical entrepreneurs and organizations.

Irina Patterson Sunday, February 14, 2010 at 6:58 PM PT

That’s right, Santanu. As Irina says, I believe the 1M/1M ambassadors understand the mission and the deliverables quite clearly, and I will continue to clarify as we go along to new ambassadors. This weekend, over 100 new ambassadors have come on board, and we will work on getting them up to speed and oriented. That brings our current total to about 150.

If you are interested, you should study the 1M/1M strategy which has been discussed and written up quite extensively on this blog.

Sramana Mitra Sunday, February 14, 2010 at 7:46 PM PT