NEWSLETTER

If you are considering becoming a 1M/1M premium member and would like to join our mailing list to receive ongoing information, please sign up here.

1M/1M Video: Girl Power In Silicon Valley

Posted on Tuesday, Feb 21st 2012

This comic strip raises the question of gender bias in Silicon Valley. Ironically, I AM a woman entrepreneur in Silicon Valley, and in my experience, when I have been rejected by VCs, there was, often, good reason for it. Please view the comic strip, and weigh in with your thoughts.

You can subscribe to the YouTube Channel here.

This segment is a part in the series : 1M/1M Video

Comments

My vote is with you, Sramana!

Betsy Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM PT

I think some old school investors are not as comfortable with female CEO's. However I have never felt that my sex presented a problem for me. And Sramana…you rock!

Susan Perry Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 12:14 PM PT

IF this link below makes you all happy https://techcrunch.com/2012/02/27/dropbox-buys-cov

Sudhi Monday, February 27, 2012 at 2:47 PM PT

My immediate reaction to this post actually has nothing to do with the topic at hand and everything to do with why so many women in technology refer to themselves as "girls." Even this comic strip falls prey with the title, "Girl Power in Silicon Valley." There is a deeper issue here within our own gender that needs to be explored.

Amanda Coolong Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM PT

I really don’t think that’s the issue. The ‘old boys’ network refers to men as boys. Doesn’t take their power away.

Sramana Mitra Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM PT

It seems like lots of women are concerned with the image and fluff more than the biz. While the "old boy's network" may not be nice or fair or democratic… or whatever, in the end the "old boys" roll up the sleeves, get the job done, and maybe burn a few villages and blow up a few old rusty industries in the rush to get something new and useful out there. I don't think any man out there takes the use of "old boys" as the comment by Amanda.

Ami Thursday, August 30, 2012 at 1:01 AM PT

I'd be curious to see the data on entrepreneurial success and funding by gender and race in the Valley and other entrepreneurial hubs in the US. If the data is skewed, then it would be helpful to analyze why (gender/race bias, lack of team, less support, etc)

Interested Party Saturday, October 20, 2012 at 2:45 PM PT