NEWSLETTER

If you are considering becoming a 1M/1M premium member and would like to join our mailing list to receive ongoing information, please sign up here.

Heritage Hotels in India

Posted on Wednesday, May 30th 2007

Besides Real Estate, the Hotel industry is also booming in India. I have always felt, Heritage Hotels are a very good way to preserve and restore old architecture, as well as leverage them. India already has a heritage of doing this in Rajasthan and many other places.

I would like to see this tradition continued elsewhere, as the travel and tourism industry in India takes off at a grand scale in the upcoming years.

A recent restoration project that I experienced was Pieve a Pava in the village of San Giovanni d’Asso in Tuscany. With an Etruscan foundation, medieval catholic heritage on top of it, the property has been beautifully restored by Carol Vanwonterghem, and recently turned into a bed & breakfast. Every bit of detail cared for, and with a strong sense of respect for the history and soul of the house, Carol’s work of art is truly moving. [Website:
www.pieveapava.com.]

pava.jpg

Another beautiful restoration project that I saw during my recent trip to Italy is La Posta Vecchia, in the ancient port town of Alsium, near Rome. Built over Etruscan ruins, they have preserved artifacts in an underground museum, much like Jerusalem, while a beautiful villa sits above.

Comments

[…] Meanwhile, you have been reading my very personal story, As India Builds, lamenting India’s relentless architectural destruction. In this story, for the first time, I have talked about my own history, which perhaps explains some of my extreme and unapologetic sensitivity to design and style. [Two follow-on pieces to these are, India’s Real Estate Boom and Architecture, and Heritage Hotels]. […]

Sramana Mitra on Strategy » Blog Archive » Design to Move Thursday, June 14, 2007 at 6:33 PM PT

Hi Sramana – Yes, as you observe, the Heritage Hotel scene in India is active. Rajasthan leads the pack, having started years ago. Notable new entrants are Goa & Kerala. Over the last 3 years, we have tracked down over 300 Indian heritage hotels and listed them on HolidayIQ. Recently, our research team has discovered old palaces & havelis converted into hotels in unlikely places such as Chattisgarh & Kumbakonam.

Hari Nair Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 5:49 AM PT

There has been a major increase in the demand for Hotel rooms in India in the past couple of years. Many Hospitality brands in India and abroad have recognized this and have taken the initiative to bridge this gap.

Pune Hotels Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 4:43 AM PT

I guess one company I am aware of that does good work is Welcom Heritage Group. Its a group that has provided Heritage properties a collective business model as well as a platform. Neemrana Hotels is another success story that one should look at.

A little incentive for preservation of old buildings /houses will help the cause.

India Tours and Travels Guy Thursday, March 6, 2008 at 9:11 AM PT

I have stayed in Welcome Heritage Group’s Windamere Hotel in Darjeeling. It is getting progressively unimpressive, unfortunately.

Sramana Mitra Saturday, March 8, 2008 at 4:28 PM PT

Hi,Sramana i m big fan of your writing . I need your help.Do you have any book on Marketing strategies of heritage hotels of rajajasthan. pls tell me that book name i will purshase it.

manaswini kothari Monday, June 2, 2008 at 6:12 AM PT

I have no idea … I don’t think such a book exists.

Sramana Mitra Monday, June 2, 2008 at 8:45 AM PT

that's really a fantastic post ! added to my favourite blogs list.. I have been reading your blog last couple of weeks and enjoy every bit. Thanks.

Jaipur Hotels Monday, August 23, 2010 at 10:19 AM PT

@Sramana Mitra You should visit Windamere hotel again as presently I had great time there in Hills.

You will certainly going to like and appreciate it.

with regards,

Rakesh Sharma Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 4:35 AM PT

I found your article interesting. Having stayed in India many times, I have noticed the quality of hotels, particularly in Jaipur, improving immensely. I operate a small hotel in the UK.

b&b basingstoke Saturday, November 20, 2010 at 3:57 AM PT