Bringing On WebEx 2.0: DimDim CEO DD Ganguly (Part 1)

Posted on Tuesday, Sep 23rd 2008

DD Ganguly is the CEO of DimDim, a company which offers free online meeting platforms. He began his career as an entrepreneur by starting Advanced Internet Management, which was bought out by CA. He then served as the VP of Product Development at CA until founding DimDim. He studied computer science at IIT, Kharagpur and earned his master’s from Syracuse.

SM: DD, let’s start at the beginning of your story. Where do you come from?

DD: I grew up in Jamshedpur, a small town in Bihar, India. The one thing that amazed me growing up was that Bihar had, by far, the minimum per capita income in the entire country. There was rampant corruption. It was very rich in mineral wealth. In that state, Jamshedpur had the second-highest per capita income in the country.

SM: Because of steel?

DD: Yes, because of Tata steel and other companies in the Tata Group. What was very clear to me growing up was, apart from the normal Bengali mentality that business was bad, was that people thought unless you are unethical you cannot make money in business. The problem that I saw was that here was a person who was perfectly ethical, who had done great things not only for the business he was creating but also as a social impact. Unlike most of the Bengalis I knew, I was deeply influenced by the social impact of business. If I had grown up in Kolkata I am sure my thinking in regards to business would be much different. It would not have been pro business.

SM: What you are talking about is an interesting phenomenon as an ethnographic study. Being a Bengali entrepreneur myself, I know this is a rare species. Somehow there is a mental model among us that business is bad. What you are saying is that being in Jamshedpur and not Kolkata helped you avoid developing that mental block. What was your family like? What views did they support?

DD: Thoughts about going into business were not prevalent in my family, but they were not against it either. At the time I was very young, and they must have thought I was just a little boy chattering and I would eventually grow up and do the sensible thing. When I was six or seven I remember asking my father a question. My father’s reply was “men can do what men have done”. That has stayed with my all these years. I really did believe that if human beings have started businesses, there was no reason I could not go out and start a business and succeed.

I went to college and studied computer science at the Indian Institute of Technology. I came to the US to do my master’s at Syracuse where I was a fellow. I studied more piano there than I did computer science. I did get a few papers published, but clearly spent more time studying piano. I then went to Boston where I worked for a Bengali entrepreneur. He ran a networking consulting company. I worked with him for four to five years, and he helped me start my first business. He helped me not only in the form of angel financing but also in the form of providing emotional support. I remember the first company we started was called Advanced Internet Management. It was the same founding team as DimDim. The second day he came in and told me that he did not fund the company because he thought it would be successful, he funded it because he liked me and wanted to help me out.

He was not trying to put me down or anything, he was just trying to keep me from stressing out. He also told me I would face three problems. First, l would not be able to build the product I am trying to build. If by some stroke of luck I was able to do that, I would not be able to get the first customer. If by some even stranger stroke of luck some idiot buys my product, I would not be able to ramp the business. In very simple terms he was talking about technology risk, go-to-market risk, and scaling the business risk. His help was tremendous in getting AIM started.

This segment is part 1 in the series : Bringing On WebEx 2.0: DimDim CEO DD Ganguly
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Comments

Very very true and fascinating. I was brought up in Orissa and have seen the same mentality very much prevalent in Orissa. Still now it is very much in force. People there think doing a job an Infosys or Wipro is the end of the world. I know these companies in and out and know anyone can do the work and to the tell the fact – even a 10th standard student can do the work with minimal training! (No offence intended at all to them and my apologies if it is felt that way)

A Request: I am aware of another entrepreneur, Basab Pradhan of Gridstone Research, who is from a very similar background. Will be grateful if you could publish his interview.

Omkar Sahoo Wednesday, September 24, 2008 at 9:49 AM PT

I don’t know Basab Pradhan, Omkar. If you can ask him to contact me, I can certainly take a look whether his story is a fit or not.

Sramana Mitra Wednesday, September 24, 2008 at 3:48 PM PT

The gentleman who helped me start my first business was Mr. Bud Biswas. A very large hearted gentleman.

Warm regards,
ddg

DD Ganguly Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 2:47 AM PT

hi

I have heard a lot of this company offlate. Time would only tell how much this company do. However, all the best from my end to the company for the hard work and determination to take the biggies head on.

aj Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 6:41 AM PT

I am not in direct touch with Basab Pradhan. However, I am very much fascinated with his meteoric rise considering his simple background.

Bio: http://www.gridstoneresearch.com/leadership/

He also maintains a blog at: http://6ampacific.com/ and can be contacted from there.

The reason I requested is stories of entrepreneurs from all parts of India with virtually no background will be really wonderful and will open many eyes. We know very little and worship only a handful.

I can bet that Sridhar Vembu was really not much known before your interview. But now looking at their products, the quality of software and services – I mean the CMM5 level types in India will take years to come to that level.

Omkar Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 8:10 AM PT

Omkar, Do me a favor, please, and assemble a list of the most interesting Indian entrepreneurs working in India right now. I will be in India in December, and can do a bunch of interviews if they are willing to come see me. Sramana

Sramana Mitra Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 2:53 PM PT

[…] Readings: * Deal Radar 2008: DimDim * Bringing On WebEx 2.0: DimDim CEO DD Ganguly * Sharat Sharan’s On24: Lead Generation Through […]

Paid Content : Deal Radar 2008: IVT Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 3:48 PM PT

hi,
If u can ask qustions relating to issues like
the most cost effective way of marketing and how to hire people older than u by expierence
and other issues like how abt getting the first big customeer . That can surely help

akshay Friday, September 26, 2008 at 4:57 AM PT

Akshay, depends on what you are marketing.

And hiring older people has never been a problem for me, especially since I started as a 24-year old entrepreneur. You have to be credible in what you know, the vision you propose, and be able to lead by example.

In general, people defer to personality, not age.

Sramana Mitra Friday, September 26, 2008 at 9:18 AM PT

Sramana, Basab was very well known as the Chief Sales Officer for Infosys. I would credit him with developing Infosys’ market presence in F500 companies. Shanker

Shanker Trivedi Friday, October 3, 2008 at 7:22 PM PT

[…] Okay, don’t chew me for saying this, but a Bengali Entrepreneur IS a rare specie. Let me introduce you to one that is both quite successful, and also generous about contributing back to the cause of promoting entrepreneurship: DimDim CEO DD Ganguly. […]

Rare Specie: A Bengali Entrepreneur at VentureWoods - India's leading venture capital community Sunday, November 16, 2008 at 1:07 PM PT

[…] acquire customers. He should offer a free version along with the paid version as outlined in this story about Dimdim. I also suggest he explores partnering with outsourced product development companies like […]

Startup Strategy Roundtable: Do One Thing Really Well Thursday, June 3, 2010 at 4:35 PM PT