NEWSLETTER

If you are considering becoming a 1M/1M premium member and would like to join our mailing list to receive ongoing information, please sign up here.

Google Enters Enterprise 3.0 Collaboration

Posted on Friday, Apr 20th 2007

Google has just acquired a small Swedish Webex competitor, Marratech, entering the Enterprise 3.0 collaboration game.

Earlier, Cisco acquired Webex for $3.1 Billion, and postured to take on Microsoft, a leader in the enterprise collaboration space.

I used to wonder for the longest time why Google wasn’t buying Webex. Well, now all the pieces of the puzzle fit together.

There’s one thing that Google has missed, however, which is that to play in the Enterprise space, they need to worry about Security. Webex has done an excellent job with the Extended Enterprise trend, and helping people collaborate across firewalls. Moving forward, this will continue to be a vital issue, and if Google doesn’t address it, then they will most likely be stuck in the very low end of the SME (Small Medium Enterprise) market and in SOHO (Small Office Home Office) , where secure communication doesn’t matter quite as much!

Finally, if Google is going down this path, the next thing to get their hands on is a Project Management capability. Here’s my review of eProject.

And if Google does want to consider beefing up Security, here’s a discussion with Philippe Courtot, CEO of Qualys, a leader in security SaaS.

Comments

There you are. If Google adds a project management module, they complete the cycle.

What are your views about Marratech – would Google release that as a standalone emeeting product or just integrate the screensharing / video conferencing features of Marratech with Google Talk ?

Amit Agarwal Friday, April 20, 2007 at 1:18 PM PT

I haven’t a clue, Amit!

Sramana Mitra Friday, April 20, 2007 at 1:36 PM PT

Google would never buy eProject. They have an archaic Microsoft technology stack that takes 4-6 weeks to install. Have you ever asked them for a free trial ? They can’t do it, not very SaaS-like if you ask me. WebEx, Google and Salesforce.com must be looking at Projity though, a pure play AJAX replacement of Microsoft Project. That is calling my shot at the changing market !

Jim Teague Friday, April 20, 2007 at 1:50 PM PT

Jim,

Please ask Projity to contact me. I will be happy to look at them in just as much detail as I looked at eProject in.

I do agree with you, that Google would not buy eProject. It is much more of an enterprise class, complex project, extended enterprise type of system. Google doesn’t know how to sell that kind of stuff. But if we’re not mistaken about their ambitions, they need to learn.

Sramana Mitra Friday, April 20, 2007 at 2:29 PM PT

Google would not buy eProject. It is much more of an enterprise class, complex project, extended enterprise type of system………explained nice .visit my blog

raghu ram prasad Saturday, April 21, 2007 at 6:44 AM PT

@task is an AJAX full replacement to MS Project. If you liked eProject, you’ll love @task! Check out http://www.attask.com. Nice blog BTW.

Chad Monday, April 23, 2007 at 12:35 PM PT

Sounds like another one that I need to look into. Thanks for flagging it, Chad. Sramana

Sramana Mitra Monday, April 23, 2007 at 12:46 PM PT