January 21 Roundtable Recording

Posted on Thursday, Jan 21st 2010

If you missed this morning’s roundtable, here is the recording:

And here is the 1M / 1M strategy slide deck.

Comments

I liked the way you answer.

Prashant Saturday, January 23, 2010 at 9:10 AM PT

Hello.

Thanks for this initiative , i think its great and i will like to be a member.

Chike Akudeh Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 9:11 AM PT

Pls join the LinkedIn group: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=2685566&trk=anet_ug_grppro

Sramana Mitra Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 10:56 AM PT

I absolutely love this and it sparks so many ideas… I am looking forward to working with you and the whole 1M/1M project. How exciting!

Heather Plude Friday, April 16, 2010 at 10:55 PM PT

I’m very much an entrepreneurial populist so I’d like to be supportive. I was a telecom VC (Accel Partners 86-97), founded and ran a music business (A-Cappella.com), and I’m now entering the world of entrepreneurial studies as well as starting a business focused on business plan competitions. Everything I’ve done since Accel has been in Maine, which is a world apart from Silicon Valley.

While I haven’t read your books yet (they’re on my Amazon wish list), I’m wondering whether you’ve tested the methodology on non-tech businesses, or on micro enterprises that might be microloan candidates or recipients. I fully understand and appreciate the value of what you’re doing for tech businesses, but I wonder whether the methodology works more broadly, or perhaps needs some tweaking depending on the market space.

Second issue: I find your goal of ambassadors cultivating deep relationships with 20 EDOs to be inconsistent with 5 hours/week. Perhaps you have some more specific ideas about what the ambassadors should/would be doing? I’m concerned that you are trying to scale a business model where the replicable operational details have yet to be figured out. For example, do you have a compelling pitch for your methodology that could be used by ambassadors to sell this approach to EDOs? Do you have positioning of your methodology versus other entrepreneurial studies approaches, such as Kauffman’s FasTrac or Babson’s SEE (which I’ll be taking in early June), or other methodologies used in hundreds of other Entrepreneurial Studies departments?

I think you’re going to need some better positioning of your version of entrepreneurial support to succeed, as the market for entrepreneurial support is very large and well established (even if it is fractured around the world). Economic development organizations (both government and non-government), universities, incubators, NGOs, microfinance are all doing things their own way, and they have significant market share. (Here in Maine there is an alphabet soup of organizations who are supposed to be helping entrepreneurs). How will you relate to them, as opposed to the tech oriented entrepreneurial development organizations that you’re targeting? I’m pretty sure that to reach 1M entrepreneurs you will need to be reaching retailers, restaurants, and a wide variety of other non-tech businesses.

Related to scale, I’m wondering if you will be focused on web-connected entrepreneurs. As you look around the globe, as you well know, many small businesses can’t get access, and many who could get access are technologically clueless. Are you targeting them as well? If so, how?

I’m focused on many of these problems, as the state of Maine faces these challenges. btw, it’s a beautiful place to visit in July and August if you’re looking for a new venue to test your system.

Don Gooding Sunday, April 25, 2010 at 5:31 AM PT

Don,

No we’re not trying to scale 1M/1M quite yet. We’re simply working on designing and building a scalable program right now, while helping entrepreneurs. We have worked with about 150 entrepreneurs so far, across 32 roundtables, with about 3000 participants so far.

These may be small numbers, but they’re not insignificant. The experience has taught us a lot. And we’re currently working on using the learning to build on top of it.

I think you are making assumptions that are incorrect and without knowledge of the inner workings of our program and its contributors.

In any case, all I can tell you right now is that I am working on designing a program that is going to be both sufficiently scalable and sufficiently differentiated. But I cannot share with you any details at this point. Stay tuned, and meanwhile, if you want to work with us, please connect on LinkedIn with Karina Koloch, one of the ambassadors for your geography.
She will explain to you what we currently have and how you can leverage those resources as an Ambassador or IA.

Yes, we have pitches, presentations, differentiation [through our roundtables where we offer personal coaching based on the EJ Methodology]. Again, not where we will be in 18 months, but not insignificant either, and it is definitely serving its audience well currently, as evidenced by the regular participation and feedback.

As for your questions on types of businesses, we work extensively with ecommerce businesses, which is today’s equivalent of retail stores. And yes, we work mostly with web connected businesses. No, microenterprises ($10 loans) is not our focus currently.

For further details, I suggest you listen to the recordings of the roundtables.

Thank you for your interest in our work.

Regards, Sramana

Sramana Mitra Sunday, April 25, 2010 at 11:52 AM PT

Thank you Sramana, I understand much more where you are with the program now. I’ll be taking any further questions “inside,” as I’ve signed up to be an Ambassador for Maine. But first I have some homework to do.

Regards, Don

Don Gooding Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 2:50 AM PT

Hi Sramana,
This is an awesome project you’ve got going, here. I’ve believe I have experience that will form great synergy with this project, so I’ve joined your linked in group.

But please, do/can you have another copy of this presentation hosted on youtube? This one works terribly with my connection (I presume). The video keeps restarting after every few minutes. Thus I’ve spent over 3 hours on your website and only seen a quarter of 1 video.

And there are many back recordings to catch up on!

Thanks in advance.

Peter Monday, May 31, 2010 at 8:43 AM PT

I have passed your feedback on to DimDim.

Sramana Mitra Monday, May 31, 2010 at 9:08 AM PT

This video does not work at all. I am using a Firefox 3.x on Ubuntu Linux. Is there any other alternative source where I can view this video?

Rajbir Saini Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 2:30 AM PT