Urging Authors to be Entrepreneurs: iUniverse CEO Kevin Weiss (Part 1)

Posted on Thursday, Jul 10th 2008

Writing a book takes dedication. For many authors it is a culminating, defining feat of their lives. Sadly, the chances of an author’s book actually being read are miniscule at best. Rapacious agents, stoic publishers, and that brick wall called ‘marketing’ are typically insurmountable hurdles for would-be authors. Enter iUniverse (parent company Author Solutions) and their new, successful self-publishing model. New York Times bestselling author Amy Fisher published If I Knew Then in 2004 through iUniverse. Since then, a series of partnerships (Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble) and programs such as The Star Program are providing hopeful authors a reason to be optimistic.

SM: Let’s get started by reviewing your background. Where do you come from and how did you end up in this business?

KW: I grew up in the northeastern part of the United States and went to Princeton University. After graduation I went to Manhattan and worked for IBM. I spent approximately 17 years with IBM in a variety of jobs, mostly on the sales side. I did go into corporate strategy for a while, then software, which took me to Austin, Texas. An opportunity came up to work for an enterprise software company called BMC Software, so I joined them in 1995. BMC had just come off of a good growth year at just over $400 million. I stayed there five years, and when I left we had just finished of our fiscal year at $1.75 billion. It was not because of me, I was just happy to be part of such an incredible growth factor.

SM: What did you do at BMC?

KW: I was the head of field operations in the Americas. After that I went to work for a little re-start company. The person who hired me at BMC became CEO of Bindview, another enterprise software company with a security focus. I went there to be the chief marketing officer. Not quite a year after I joined them, the person who brought me in decided he wanted to leave and the founder returned. I did not want to be in the middle of that, so I told the founder I would help him out but that he should get someone in there who would be loyal to him.

I then went to work for Ariba. Ariba was down on its luck but they had a good franchise. I ran their international business and ended up moving to London, where I got recruited to head operations for McAfee in Europe. I left in October of 2006, not of my accord, as the president. I then did some work in Houston for a private investor who had quite a bit of money invested in a company and was trying to figure out if it was ever going make a dollar. I consulted until December of last year, when I came to Author Solutions as the CEO.

SM: How did you get introduced to Author Solutions?

KW: Bertram Capital, one of our investors, was started by Jeff and Ken Drazan. Jeff and I went to college together. Jeff and Ken started Bertram Capital and Author House, which was the largest self-publishing company in the world, was their first acquisition. They followed that up with the acquisition of iUniverse.

Jeff called me and asked if I would be interested in helping them out with this company they just bought. Eventually he asked me if I would be willing to take over the company, which I was not sure about because I did not know anything about publishing. He said I would know what I needed to after six months! Sometimes things just feel right, and this did. I saw the publishing industry, which has been doing business the same way for a long time, was flat. I then saw Author Solutions was posting 20% growth by doing things I thought were unique. I saw a huge opportunity and felt we could be disruptive without knocking the boat over. I took over as CEO in December of last year.

This segment is part 1 in the series : Urging Authors to be Entrepreneurs: iUniverse CEO Kevin Weiss
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Comments

I published 2 books with iUniverse and since the company was sold, the only thing that Author Solution is doing is sending out offers for current authors to buy more of their services. With the Amazon contract in doubt, authors should seriously consider the marketing aspect of their books.

Tiberiu Weisz Friday, August 15, 2008 at 8:21 PM PT

This past June I submitted a book ms. for publication with iUniverse. Since then I have learned a bitter lesson. Anyone considering getting a book published through iUniverse had better think twice. They are bad news! Once they have your cash, they don’t answer your emails; if you call, they lie to you. The reason it seems is that they are so successful they’re backed up till Christmas. One Publishing Assistant told me she is a week and a half behind on looking at her email. They’re all totally swamped, and books are backed up, with many customers angry as hell. My advise: pass on iUniverse.

Don Simmons Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 3:39 PM PT

This company is in serious trouble. I paid in full and sent all my material more than 3 months ago and I have received nothing. The system does not work well so the poor customer service reps are struggling, asking authors to send material via email instead. The editorial department is over booked and they promised editorial evaluation in 3 -4 weeks, 8 weeks passed by and we never received anything. They refuse to provide refunds… check the better business bureau for the open complaints. Stay away from iUniverse by now.

Lujosalgo Sunday, October 5, 2008 at 7:40 PM PT

In my opinion based on horrific experience with them, IUniverse should be totally avoided. My book was supposed to be published anonymously, but when they distributed it over the internet they inserted my name!!! The PSA avoided my calls as did his supervisor. The worst publishing experience imaginable. At this point, the customer service supervisor will not even contact me. This is the absolute worst internet experience I have ever had.

Bill Wellington Tuesday, December 2, 2008 at 2:57 PM PT

iUniverse is one of the most horrible publications I ever have experienced in my entire publishing experience.
Never publish with iUniverse. They are not customer friendly, what they promise they won’t do.
Please, do not publish with them

O Thursday, December 11, 2008 at 2:38 AM PT

I think that the best thing for awards is to look at previous winners.
Most of the books seem to have been self-published. Not that that’s a
bad thing, but iUniverse has an appalling reputation.

I wouldn’t touch those awards with a barge pole. $65!!!! And what
kudos would any book have with “winner of Readers Views” on it? Or
many other online awards, to be brutally frank.

I talk to my publishers first about awards.

Erastes

— In MarketingForRomance Writers@yahoogro ups.com, “ruthsims_author”
wrote:
> Re: Readers Views Literary Award
> Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with this award? It’s
> apparently been around for several years. RV is, judging from the
> website at http://www.readervi ews.com/Awards. html an author service
> site, with reviews both free and express (paid for, but not
> guaranteed to be a good review)and several other “packages” of
> promotion.
> The Literary Award has several categories. The prizes are not actual
> monetary awards but are promotional services from various agencies,
> worth $1000 and some are less.
> Entry includes a review. Now for the kicker: Entry is $65 for
> entering the book in one category and an extra fee ($10, I think)
> for entering the same book in an additional category. Entry includes
> a review, as I read it.
> Are there any thoughts on entering contests with hefty entry fees
> but pretty decent awards? Or should we stick to the few awards that
> are free?
> It’s good promotion to have a “Winner of–” description, so I don’t
> think I’m breaking any rules to ask about contests… am I?
> Ruth
> http://www.ruthsims. com

Cali Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 12:33 PM PT

It’s about time iuniverse were sent to court, sued and closed down as they are not a company they are low-life crooks. Dirty …

Cali Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 12:36 PM PT

Wow! And to think I was seriously considering signing with iuniverse. I’ve earned a Phd degree, earned every kudo from tenure to full professor to
professor emeritus when I took an early retirement to write full time, published a lot while at the university and yet getting my novel published makes everything else pale in comparison. I guess I’m glad I checked them out but I sure miss the high I experienced when hope walked through the door after I spoke to their representative. Thanks for the warning.

Nancy Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 2:42 PM PT

My complaint goes back to January 2008. DO NOT USE IUNIVERSE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! The company is an absolute joke. It is a mistake I will be paying for, for a long time. It took them 12 months to from my manuscript into a book. In that time they merged with Authorhouse and after that time it was impossible to get anything done unless I kicked and screamed my way up to the Vice-President du jour! I foolishly signe the 10% royalty agreement because I thought they would incentivize the bookstores to buy my book, but they have ignore any marketing of my book to this point. Someone mentioned them trying to sell their current authors more services. That’s the extent of there company. Don’t do what you promise, just try to make more money for more promises. I paid for the Premier Plus option which was at the time the highest and most expensive service they offered and they have not fulfilled much of what they said they would do. I also think they are now scewing me on the sales of my books as well. I can’t get a royalty report from them and they say they have to wait until (months after the close of the quarter) to get their reports. That’s nonsense. My recommendation is to STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM IUNIVERSE AS POSSIBLE.

Don Busi Friday, April 17, 2009 at 12:08 PM PT

My experience with iUniverse was a scant brush; a telephone chat with a representative. The rep called later with the most appalling hard-sell push to sign with iUniverse now and receive discounts of photo charges if ‘saving money is a priority’, and the like. Still sanguine about iUniverse I e-mailed my wish to change representatives, but the same hard-sell tyke replied. Hurt feelings, I suppose. I did not open his mail and have no further interest doing business with this company.

Eric Berryman Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 12:03 PM PT

Dear Mr kevin
I am your client and very much disappointed with the way my book is handled, unless it is quetsion of grabbing money,it is difficult to get a reponse
My project No 145710 and I need immediate asistanc Hasanat

Hasanat Ahmad Syed Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 1:19 PM PT

I am glad I found this site as I was going to give them some money tomorrow, anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get a book published, I have never been published and I don't have a lot of money.

Ira Winfield Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 7:05 AM PT

At the beginning of last year (2008) iUniverse was bought out by a bigger, mammoth company called AuthorSolutions. Before this happened I had published around 200 or more books through iUniverse with great cooperation and efficiency on their side, over a period of over seven years. But with the takeover, they became… not to put too fine a point on it, their service became abysmal! I no longer had a single person as a point of contact, and my emails were hardly ever returned. Submitting a book would
take months, not a matter of two or three weeks anymore – or the books would just hang about in limbo. Fulfilling orders to publishers wanting author copies became a nightmare too. The whole system was no longer user (author) friendly. Their only concern seemed to rake off as much money from the author as possible – so how they continue to exist financially as a viable & respectable publishing company is beyond my understanding. Ordering books that were already published by the former regime, is no problem at all – provided you go through Amazon or their associate booksellers..
When I ran into these difficulties with the new company, I cancelled the two books I already had submitted to them, and asked for a refund of the fee I had paid for each book. Result – emails totally ignored (although the account for each of the two books was indeed cancelled). I resorted to emailing their CEO asking for the refunds—repeatedly—but all emails were ignored. So I realised that if my business (Diadem Books) was to survive, I would have to move. I used LULU for a time, but this too was not as efficient as I wished. So in the end I became my own publisher – now publishing under my own imprint of Diadem Books. The printing and distribution is handled by Lightning Source, and the books are professional and available worldwide as before. So in a sense this takeover of iUniverse was a good thing for me – it forced me to grow and become independent.

Charles Muller Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 3:52 PM PT

I have read the above posts, but there is something far more sinister going on with iUniverse. A friend advised me that Google have my book on on their web page and are showing every page of The Ten Percent Man.

On the site, they state that they have permission from the publisher to do this. I wrote and advised them that I did not give them this permission, nor did I give the publisher the power to make these decisions. I was directed to:
http://www.googlebooksettlement.com It makes interesting reading.

Moss Tosney Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 4:04 PM PT

I SHOULD HAVE SEEN THIS WEBSITE MUCH BEFORE .IHAVE READ ALL THE COMMENTS THERE IS NOT A SINGLE INDIVIDUAL HAPPY.I PAID OVER $6000 THEY COULD NOT SELL A SINGLE BOOK ALL THE TIME I AM BUYING MY OWNBOOK -WHAT A SHAME SUSAN DRISCOLL AND KEVIN WEISS ARE ROBBING AUTHORS.THEY DO NOT RESPOND TO LETTERS WRITTEN TO THEM FBI SHOULD INVESTIGATE INTO THEIR PRACTICES

Hasanat Ahmad Syed Saturday, July 25, 2009 at 7:30 AM PT

Let me add to the soured scribblers who learned the hard way of the racketeering dirtbags in the self-publishing bu$ine$$. Yes, Iuniverse is truly an unethical pack of swine. I can’t think of a label dark enough to lay on them, except that probably they should set up shop in some toilet facility. Thanks loads, A & K.

J. Peters Friday, August 7, 2009 at 8:55 AM PT

Amen.

J. Peters Sunday, August 9, 2009 at 9:37 PM PT

My e-mails go unanswered-somehow, I gain the impression the people speaking with me on the telephone are not telling the truth…

After the final editing my book was published-there are many childish and clumsy printing mistakes made by the printer-of course, iuniverse thinks I should pay for the corrections…again.

DO NOT PUBLISH WITH IUNIVERSE=BEWARE!

snafu the elder Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM PT

Snafu,
If you are having difficulties with your book, please contact us. You can reach me directly at kevin.gray at iuniverse dot com. I will see to it that the appropriate professionals reach out to you and work to resolve your book’s issues.

Best,
Kevin A. Gray
PR Manager
iUniverse

Kevin A. Gray Wednesday, August 19, 2009 at 8:42 AM PT

My sincere apologies for my unjustified earlier bad- mouthing Iuniverse in a moment of dark angst. They are doing a remarkable job for me. Thank you with all my heart, gang.

J. Peters Thursday, August 27, 2009 at 10:20 AM PT

I contacted Mr Gray. He is “for real”, he is a gentleman and genuinely concerned and did his best to steer me in the right direction. Mr Gray is a credit to the publishing industry.

I was referred to customer services representatives. Getting information from these folks was like pulling teeth. In the end they would finish their spiel buy trying to flog yet another of their weak and ineffective marketing ploys. Incompetent, know nothing, sales people. (They are not there to help you-they are there to sell you junk you don’t need.)

The first two years with iuniverse was a honeymoon-these last two years have been frustration coupled with anger. They now print my book with sixty blank pages-and wont fix it!

The flag ship of the vanity/POD industry is sinking herself. HMS iuniverse is going down the toilet.

Stay away from these people, do not invest a penny in iuniverse. Save yourself time, money and frustration! Buyer beware!

DO NOT PUBLISH WITH IUNIVERSE_BEWARE!

snafu the elder Tuesday, September 1, 2009 at 9:55 AM PT

I wish I had seen this site (and many others popping up out there) before paying iUniverse to destroy my four years of hard work. A few of the reps assigned to my project were sincere, hard-working people who honestly wanted to help. But on the whole iUniverse has become a black hole to be completely avoided–run by amateurs, con artists, and snake oil peddlers. AUTHOR: DO NOT ENTRUST YOUR PRECIOUS BOOK TO IUNIVERSE!!

D.M. Lindemann Saturday, October 10, 2009 at 4:57 AM PT

My third comment as to my experience with iUniverse is of pleasant satisfaction. The book is out and nicely executed. Thank you. It was a pleasure dealing with you. Jim Peters.

J. Peters Sunday, October 11, 2009 at 10:52 AM PT

Mr. Peters, Congratulations on your book and I wish you the best. One issue I and some others I know are running up against now, aside from serious quality and customer service problems, is iUniverse failing to honor valid returnability clauses. At least one major retailer here in my area will not order iUniverse products because they have been stuck with excess books that were sold to them as returnable. Even Barnes and Noble, with whom iUniverse loves to boast of their “strategic alliance,” is hesitant to order any more than one or two copies of iUniverse books at a time. I’m told that some B&N branches will not order any and insist on pre-paid consignment. There are indeed some very good people at iUniverse, but it seems to me that overall it is sinking fast.

D.M. Lindemann Monday, October 12, 2009 at 8:11 AM PT

I have been working with iUniverse's sister company, AuthorHouse, and have had the same bad experience with them as others have had with iUniverse. I cannot get one person to focus on the issues I have and I have lost a month in production already. I'm glad I read these comments now so that I can cancel my contract with them and start up with a different self-publishing firm. Thanks, everyone, for your honesty in working with iUniverse.

K Diller Tuesday, December 1, 2009 at 2:39 AM PT

K Diller,
I’m sorry to hear you’ve encountered difficulties in publishing your book. Please contact me directly and I will see to it that your issue are resolved. We still want to publish your book and I am confident that we can meet or exceed your expectations. Thank you for trusting AuthorHouse with your book.

Best,
Kevin A. Gray
PR Manager – Author Solutions, Inc.
kgray at authorsolutions dot com

Kevin A. Gray Saturday, December 5, 2009 at 11:20 AM PT

May I know the email address of iUniverse CEO, to be able to write to him and describe my case.

Bassil A. Mardelli Thursday, March 25, 2010 at 1:20 PM PT

We do not give out email addresses.

Sramana Mitra Thursday, March 25, 2010 at 2:16 PM PT

I am not certain that PSA teams are performing ”Quality Control” before submitting the interior proofs to the author to give final approval.
Authors cannot be held accountable for technical mistakes made by the publishers. (simply because authors are not technicians and they rely on the expertise of their publishers)
Converting from Microsoft Word to PDF files are the responsibility of the publishers (iUniverse) not the author. The onus is on the publisher to ensure proper formatting.
For the past six weeks I have received Interior Proofs only sporadically. Last week PSA began redoing the entire work because there were major errors in the process of reformatting my manuscript. In the absence of Quality Control, I have lost more than one month.
The first PDF I received was on February 12 and it was full of publisher’s errors, which I corrected. On March 9, I received for review what was supposed to have been ‘’a corrected’’ PDF. Apparently iUniverse corrected the errors of Feb 12, but committed many more fresh ones on March 9. Going through the March 9 PDF I found that almost all words in Italics have been dropped out. I spoke to my PSA and they said the issue related to ‘’formatting’’ and they needed the original MS to be able to redo the work. In their emails to me PSA reiterated that ‘’It is author’s responsibility to proof every page of the interior and cover for errors. When you give your final approval of your proofs, no more changes can be made without your purchase of Re-do process”…. How can any author be held responsible for errors committed by his publishers? Who can guarantee that the errors he had corrected and on which basis he gave his Okay to proceed, are not repeated and ‘fresh’ errors surfaced in the meantime. These will not be visible to him after he had Okayed. Is there any ‘’Quality Control’’ process iUniverse is considering to deal with such issues?
Up to now I have not received definitive answer concerning the date my book will be published.
Based on ‘promising’ email from iUniverse dated March 9 ‘’You’re closer than you think’’, I made commitments with Book Stores and Book Fairs in my country, who have outlets throughout the region, that they should be in a position to pre-order my Book beginning April 2010. As a first step, they are interested to look up my book in: ‘pre-order’ through amzn.com and barnesandnobles.com and many more.
I need to know to be able to pursue my commitments with the Book stores.

Bassil A. Mardelli Thursday, March 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM PT

Whilst I agree that the current iuniverse is not what the old one was in user-friendliness, in all fairness, I have to say that they have just published my second book ‘Life with the Ladies of Low Arvie’ and the whole process was troublefree. I submitted my work (and my fee) at the end of January and the book was published at the end of March with only three very small mistakes which we due to oversight on my part (‘it’ instead of ‘if’ and two more similar). I did my own typesetting according to the information they gave me and the only problem I had was with the photographs. They would not take lower quality ones unless I signed for them, which the old iuniverse did with no bother. I also sent the photograph for the cover, produced by my photographer to iuniverse’s specifacations. Most emails were answered promptly and my book is as good as the first one ‘The Ladies of Low Arvie’.
I would think twice before using them again after reading these posts, but by and large, my experience was good.
I do agree about the pushing of marketing ploys which are very expensive and I have just paid for one to test the water and see what happens.
I should add that I am resident in Scotland and do all my business with them over the internet or by phone. Phone calls have always been answered promptly or returned as soon as possible.

L. Watson Saturday, June 12, 2010 at 12:23 AM PT

[…] options now available to us, I strongly recommend your taking a look at this seven-part interview: http://www.sramanamitra.com/2008/07/10/opportunity-within-the-long-tail-of-book-authors-iuniverse-ce…. Kevin Weiss is the CEO of iUniverse, and even though the interview was done two years ago, his […]

48–Journey Update (Whew!) « Cheri Laser's Blog Friday, June 18, 2010 at 1:03 PM PT

I was getting very upset until I saw your post. I have been saving my pennies to publish my book with iuniverse. I thought I had done an excellent job of comparing POD's and had set my sights upon them. I see that all of the other posts are from one to three years old, and yours is very recent. It's funny, one of my dreams (from the money selling my book) is to surprise my husband with a trip to Scotland for a few rounds of golf we will never forget! I have talked to an author rep and he seems to be just a doll, I hope I can trust them now, maybe they ironed out all the kinks that the others ran into? It is so hard to trust anyone anymore, let alone with my book that I have worked so hard on. Do hope to visit your wonderful land one day. Happy writing!

L.B. Monday, June 21, 2010 at 6:08 PM PT

I read a good deal about all the horrible service from self-publishers, but, can anyone give a recomendation of a good traditional publisher that will even look at a first time authors book?

D Coffield Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 8:25 PM PT

[…] At 56, she said, “I don’t have time for this anymore,” and self-published her new book, a historical fiction tome, through print-on-demand provider iUniverse last year (see interview with iUniverse CEO Kevin Weiss). […]

How to Use the Internet to Get a Seven-Figure Book Deal | Self Publishing Companies Friday, July 30, 2010 at 12:05 PM PT

Seems someone should post to fourhourblog.com and fourhourworkweek.com. I learned of this company because he recommended them. I believe he did all of his publishing when the company was good. I bet he would sh*t in his pants if he knew all of this was going on.

Karri Sunday, September 5, 2010 at 2:45 PM PT

I am very disapointed with IUniverse. I feel the need to inform everyone and anyone out there how badly they treated me while I was with them. My book was published with countless errors by the editors. It had blank pages, it was not the correct size and though none of this was my fault I was forced to pay for all of the editors mistakes. I tried countless times to contact someone but the only people I was able to speak with were very rude and turned me away. My money that I work very hard for (I am a single mother and finding the money to do this was almost impossible) had been wasted. I am never going to publish with a company that IUniverse owns or is part of. I reccommend no one else does either. It's not worth your time.

Sarah Personal Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 12:08 PM PT

IUniverse is a nightmare! They fuction as an uncoordinated book printer, attempting to sell you services performed by people with little experience. The turnover of employees at all levels is hard to even believe. I experienced misrepresentation, poor editing services, rude behavior, and no concern for the end result. Good luck getting anyone to return calls! It is hard to believe that they are still in business. I made a huge mistake Beware!

Ed Becker Monday, January 31, 2011 at 10:43 AM PT

Dear Mr. Gray,

If the employment record holds true to form, you've long since left iuniverse. But, if you should still be there, I'd like you to know that my last name was omitted from the hard copy of my book. I complained, but iuniverse claims my book is not defective. According to Eugene Hopkins, who treated me with disrespect, and in a combative way, there would be no allowance for this mistake. (I had thought, perhaps, that at the very least I might been given a financial break on future orders.) Mr. Hopkins referred to himself as a kind of arbitrator from Author Solutions. If iuniverse is serious about problem solving, it might consider admitting to its deficiencies rather than blowing smoke at clients.

P. Edmisten Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 8:32 AM PT

Does anyone know of a GOOD, HONEST self-publisher??

Sylvia Hand Friday, February 18, 2011 at 12:05 PM PT

Everyone seems to be against iUniverse, so who would they recommend instead?

Sylvia Hand Saturday, February 19, 2011 at 1:29 PM PT

Well, I am new to this publishing game & I am so grateful to have sites with this kind of feed back. Not everybody will tell the same lie, inretrospect to iUniverse people that have intrusted there finished projects or even their life's work to this company. In your eyes you have no self respect, so why should this company operate any differently. I,however have started a petition signing to put before congress on virtually companies, to become mandaited via laws per state to abided in the clause of a legal agreement, including subsidary companies as well. Practice to run a great business is to do right via the people that they represent them. Best believe that even if this company shuts down, & reopens again under another assumed name the word, via internt is even stronger than word of mouth. Mostly people don't plan to fell, they just fell to plan, this is just another fat cat company that festers off the needy while being greedy.

Kindard Tuesday, September 13, 2011 at 5:21 PM PT

I am in the same situation. Has anyone sent you any good suggestions?

Joy Thursday, October 27, 2011 at 4:20 PM PT

I almost signed a contract with Author House in 2009. The person who'd emailed me repeatedly implied he was the president of the company. I do not recall his name at this time but I Googled his name just to see what results I got. The man's name as well as Author House was listed on the Florida District Attorney's website as a scam artist and is wanted in several states for Fraud and a multitude of other issues. Lawsuits galore from all over the country. He has worked under different aliases, and changes the name of his company every few years. It took a bit of digging to find this information but before signing any contract with any of these types of people, it definitely pays to er on the side of caution and learn more about them.

Bridget Wednesday, November 16, 2011 at 7:53 PM PT

I too have issues with i-universe..first off I finally had to do MY OWN COVER /front and back..the illustrations they did were horrendous ! they even changed the wording on my bio and synopsis of the book, which would have taken away the premise of the book…genre was humor and they tried to serious it up..duh..and I have never been able to get into my account page.." web error" since last year..REALLY ???..give me a break…each time i e-mail them, I get the same directions, but they NEVER work..and I spent over $ 1200.00 …now they don't return my calls at all..and I haven't lost my temper once !!!

kjforce Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM PT

i was deeply considering to be apart of the IUniverse company! but based off of the comments i have read, i think that i is a good idea to keep shopping around. and right about now i am thinking about going to the traditional publishers

C.C. Moses Saturday, February 18, 2012 at 12:15 AM PT

This comment thread is a case study in the old truth about advertising – If you have a poor product (or service), advertising will only let the world know how bad your services are…fix your product before you try to do any digital PR".

Sramana, your interviews are always great. Thanks for this excellent resource that every entrepreneur should know about.

Gogo

Denver Business Friday, March 23, 2012 at 3:56 AM PT

I have contracted with iUniverse and have been very pleased with all their very professional representatives, editorial services, promptness in emailing and scheduling phone conferences.

Norma Welty Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 8:04 PM PT

I, too, had my book published through iUniverse in 2010. This was my first book. It was for the most part a delightful experience. During the process there were a few challenges but the company always came through with great results. At the end of the process my book was printed and delivered to me by Lightning Source. The quality is excellent. This was my first book and I couldnt't have done it without iUniverse. I am doing the marketing myself. I have done book signings with remarkable results. At least one Indigo Chapters has my book on their shelf and the books are selling. At most other book stores you can order my book. HOWEVER, YOU MUST BE YOUR OWN MARKETING PERSON. It is up to you to get your book out there. I am still selling them myself. My goal is to sell one book each day. I always have one book with me and at every opportunity I offer the book to someone. I usually reach my daily goal. My book is YOU'VE SET A GOAL … NOW WHAT? I am working on my second book and will definitely use iUniverse.

Sylvia

Sylvia Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 3:28 AM PT

My husband and I just published our book through IUniverse – Fanny Lear, Love and Scandal in Tsarist Russia. We only have good comments about them, when we phoned them they would call mus back immediately, they would answer our e-mails very fast, they helped us through the entireprocess. When we submitted the manuscript it took less than a week to return, we made the corrections and now our book is in various outlets for sale. If we ever do another book we will certainly use IUniverse. Eva McDonald

Eva McDonald Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 5:53 AM PT

I am pleased to see this array of negative comments on iUniverse. I have republished two books with them. They are nothing but a bunch of hustlers who do not know how to sell books. Instead, they try to extract money from authors by selling them their own books and having the authors resell them for iUniverse.

They have twice taken withholding taxes from my quarterly payment despite my having twice filed my W9 form with them.

P. R. B. Monday, June 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM PT